Born Rich (TV series)
Title screen shot
|Written by||Yip Sai Hong, etc.|
|Directed by||Man Wai Hung, etc.|
Lau Siu Ming
|Opening theme||"On the Verge of Eternity" (差一剎的地老天荒) by Gallen Lo|
|Ending theme||"Two Rounds of Life" (兩生關) by Kay Tse|
|Country of origin||Hong Kong|
|No. of episodes||39|
|Executive producer(s)||Chong Wai-kin|
|Location(s)||Hong Kong, Sabah|
|Camera setup||Multi camera|
|Running time||42 minutes (each)|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)
|Original run||October 19 – December 13, 2009|
|Literal meaning||"Gate of Wealth"|
Born Rich (Traditional Chinese: 富貴門, literally Gate of Wealth) is a 2009 TVB television drama produced and created by Chong Wai-kin. The drama was promoted as TVB's "grand production" for 2009, and featured an ensemble cast. Running for 39 episodes, the last two episodes were of two hours each.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Reception
- 3 Major characters
- 3.1 Cheuk family
- 3.2 Tung family
- 3.3 Sha family
- 3.4 Dai family
- 3.5 CosmoBank workers
- 4 Award nominations
- 5 Viewership Ratings
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Sophisticated banker Marcus Cheuk mistakes con artist Sha Fu-loi for his half brother Cheuk Yatming, fortuitously elevating the swindler to one of the leading figures in the banking industry. The lost and found brotherhood has blinded Marcus to Fu-loi's real nature and intentions.
Marcus is kidnapped overseas by a group of rioters. He undergoes a dramatic personality change after the incident. His wife Connie has tried her best to console him but still cannot help him get over the unpleasant experience. Longing for more comfort and support, Marcus gets back with his ex-lover Angie. Connie is heartbroken to learn about the affair and it has left the broken mirror that can't be mended.
The identity of Cheuk Yatming gives Fu-loi not only a sense of family warmth but also a sweet taste of romance. He finds himself in love with Marcus's younger sister Rene. Rene is also attracted to Fu-loi, but thinking that they are true biological siblings, she decides to keep her love under wraps and stays with her longtime admirer Topman instead. Later on, Yatming kisses her and, thinking that her brother loves her in the wrong way, goes to Sabah to try forget about Yatming.Topman follows her there and they fall back in love after Topman finds the ring she throws into the ocean. This comes as a huge blow to Fu-loi. He is not willing to lose his love, but neither can he reveal his real identity. Caught up in the dilemma between love and money, Fu-loi finally chooses the fortune road of no return.
It is all about a tough battle for money, a devious triangle of love, and a severe challenge to ethics.
In the end the Sha brothers return to Sabah. From the suicide attempt Fu-loi loses his memory and recollection of his swindling past. Brother Po-loi eventually opens a pastry shop with Yan Dai. While failing to find the fortune, the Sha brothers return to a simpler and happier life in Sabah.
Although the series, along with Beyond the Realm of Conscience, were both heavily promoted as TVB's annual grand production, the series' ratings fell flat, when compared with its counterpart. While Beyond the Realm of Conscience regularly drew viewing shares of over 90%, Born Rich only drew viewing shares of around 80%, with only the final two weeks of episodes drawing over 90% viewing shares.
In addition, some members of the cast, most notably Ray Lui, have come out and criticized the series' plot as "poor", even after the cast offered suggestions to the scriptwriters on how to improve it.1
- Cheuk Song-hei (Traditional Chinese: 卓崇禧, portrayed by Lau Kong): The founder and first CEO of CosmoBank. A year and a half before the timeline of the series begins, Song-hei went to Sabah, Malaysia, and was not heard from since. A search effort bankrolled by the Cheuk family begin, and in Episode 6, it is discovered that Song-hei has died.
- Musa "Mu Jie" Sheung (常開眉, portrayed by Nancy Sit): Widow of Cheuk Song-hei. She was an actress before her marriage to Song-hei.
- Lau Fung-king (劉鳳瓊, portrayed by Natalie Tong): Mistress of Cheuk Song-hei, and has a son with him. She only appears in flashbacks.
- Marcus Cheuk (卓一元, portrayed by Ray Lui): Son of Cheuk Song-hei. He is the acting CEO of CosmoBank during Cheuk Song-hei's disappearance, and later succeeds his late father as CEO of the bank.
- Connie Ho (賀爵年, portrayed by Jaime Chik): Wife of Marcus. She is a housewife for many years, until her divorce with Marcus, when she returns to work as the head of a PR firm.
- Cheuk Yat-ming (卓一鳴): Illegitimate son of Cheuk Song-hei. He lived in Malaysia for all of his short life. His identity was stolen by his former neighbour Sha Fu-loi, who is a professional swindler.
- Rene Cheuk (卓一心, portrayed by Anita Yuen): Daughter of Cheuk Song-hei and head of the Communications Department of CosmoBank.
- "Topman" Ko Tok-man (高拓民, portrayed by Joe Ma): Rene's husband and COO of CosmoBank.
- Cheuk Chi-kei (卓子琦, portrayed by Ting-yan Chong): Daughter of Marcus and Connie.
- Cheuk Chi-wai (卓子維, portrayed by Coleman Tam): Son of Marcus and Connie.
- Wong Lai-shui (王麗水, portrayed by Fung So-bor): The Cheuk family maid.
- Tung Tian-juk (董天祝, portrayed by Lau Siu-ming): Commonly referred to as Juk Sir (祝Sir), he had a long and very friendly relationship with Song-hei and is the Vice-Chairman of the CosmoBank Board. He had a hand in putting together Marcus with his (later) wife, Connie.
- Angie Tung (董令姿, portrayed by Kenix Kwok): A barrister, she is later retained as the legal consultant of the Cheuk family. She has an affair with Marcus, which ended Marcus's marriage with Connie Ho. Angie dies in an auto accident.
- Sha Fu-loi (沙富來, portrayed by Gallen Lo): A professional swindler, he steals the late Cheuk Yat-ming's identity in order to garner the vast wealth of the Cheuk family. Using his stolen identity, he is later able to become the Deputy CEO of CosmoBank. He also has a crush on Rene, who is engaged to Topman.
- Sha Po-loi (沙寶來, portrayed by Kenneth Ma): Younger brother of Fu-loi, he is able to work on CosmoBank's General Services Department as a low-level worker.
- Dai Wing-luk (戴永祿, portrayed by Benz Hui): He is the General Manager of CosmoBank, and is often called the "Grand Manager of General Affairs" (大總管).
- Eva Pao (鮑笑雁, portrayed by Angelina Lo: Wife of Wing-luk and fraternal sister of Musa Sheung.
- Yan Dai (戴亦欣, portrayed by Sharon Chan): A Supervisor of the Personal Finance Division of CosmoBank. She falls in love with Fu-loi.
- Ma Cheung Wai-kiu (馬蔣卉翹, portrayed by Lily Leung)
- Man O-kwan (文傲君, portrayed by Yu Tze-ming)
- Lai Kay-pui (賴紀培, portrayed by Kwong Chor-fai)
- Lee Wai-shun(李唯信, portrayed by Kong Hon)
- Herman Lai (黎允才, portrayed by Lee Shing-Cheung): CFO of CosmoBank.
- Szeto Fung (司徒豐, portrayed by Vincent Wong): Yan's boyfriend and a Personal Banking manager at CosmoBank.
- Best Drama
- Best Actor (Ray Lui)
- Best Actor (Gallen Lo)
- Best Actress (Anita Yuen)
- Best Actress (Jaime Chik)
- Best Actress (Kenix Kwok)
- Best Supporting Actor (Kenneth Ma)
- My Favourite Male Character (Ray Lui)
- My Favourite Male Character (Gallen Lo)
- My Favourite Female Character (Anita Yuen)
- My Favourite Female Character (Jaime Chik)
- My Favourite Female Character (Kenix Kwok)
- Most Improved Actress (Sharon Chan)
|Week||Episodes||Average Points||Peaking Points||References|
||October 19–23, 2009||
||October 26–30, 2009||
||November 2–6, 2009||
||November 9–13, 2009||
||November 16–20, 2009||
||November 23–27, 2009||
||November 30 - December 3, 2009||
||December 7–11, 2009||
|December 13, 2009||
- TVB.com Born Rich - Official Website (Chinese)
- K for TVB Born Rich - Episode Summaries & Screencaptures (English)