My First Encounter with Zheng Mingxing – In Great Shock!!!
I first met Zheng Mingxing (郑明星) during my trip to China in April 2005. I was totally blown away by this little old man at our first encounter; he has changed my conception towards martial arts. I thought we would loss our reflex, speed and power as we get old, it was totally the opposite for Zheng, he has great reflexes, great speed and extremely powerful.
My Second Encounter with Zheng Mingxing – More Great Shock!!!
I was in a stage of shell shock when I returned to China to learn from Zheng Mingxing in August 2005, this 73 years young old man from Zhejiang has actually improved a great deal within half a year. He moved faster and gained more power, his movements were much more uniform than what I have seen earlier that year.
Further Encounters with Zheng Mingxing – I’m Used to It!!!
After the previous two meetings with Zheng Mingxing, it only normal for me to see improvement form him. Well, I am used to it.
What Makes Me Decided to Learn form Zheng Mingxing
Zheng Mingxing possesses great skills and knowledge in Xingyiquan, he has great passion towards Xingyiquan and martial arts, but, what has inspired me the most is his personality. Zheng is the most humble and low profiled martial artist I have ever seen. In my opinion, Zheng Mingxing represents a true old timer martial artist. I am not only learning the skills, techniques and knowledge of Xingyiquan, being with Zheng, I have learned how to live a life as a martial artist and enjoy every second of it.
Bits and Pieces of Zheng Mingxing
- My Shifu, Zheng Mingxing, was born in Jiangsu Province in 1933.
- Zheng’s formal education background was completed primary school, as his primary school years were interrupted by the Japanese invasion of China (from 1938 to 1945), he started his formal education only after the Second World War.
- Zheng has joined the army and participated in the Korean War after the completion of primary school education. He carries an eye-sight disability from the battle field due to bombing.
- Zheng was so fascinated about Xingyiquan, he trained in the dark every midnight during the Cultural Revolution era.
- Zheng is totally against the exchange of Martial Arts for money.
- Zheng Mingxing trains his Xingyiquan in one of the parks at Jiaxing City every morning. His training involves a great intensity that people with great fitness are unable to complete the session within the required time frame. Once a week, Zheng does go to the Jiaxing Xingyiquan Team of the Wushu Assiociation of Zhejiang Province training area, which is hosted by one of his senior student, to provide some training tips.